The main question is what does it take to build a community? To answer this:
1) You would need to identify the purpose and goal for the community,
2) You would need to know the target audience that you are aiming for,
3) You need to have a way that the portal can be interactive with the public,
4) Once you figure out how to make the portal interactive, how are you going to promote and attract people the online community,
5) Finally, you must maintain and support the portal.
Once you have all of that planned, then you are ready to build an online community. In today’s age, the internet is a today that everyone is accustomed to and we (in a way) need the internet to survive in some sense for such as for job purposes. To contradict what I said about needing the internet to survive is right in my opinion but we could survive without the web, but life would be so much harder than it already is.
Other purposes of the internet relating to how it’s essential to building a community are because it’s a way to meet new people and work together. You can freely talk about anything on the internet but every advantage has a disadvantage, and that is people being too attached to the web.